Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Science on the 'Net

Most of what I see of science on the Internet are research papers or scientific journals. Science seems to not have kept up with technology. When I do look at a research paper on the Internet, it is either only text or as a PDF. Very few have hyperlinks. I haven't found any with a comment system. Obviously, the credentials of the reviewers will be in question.

Philica is testing a more instant submission system. With the amount of comment spam that I have seen, I am not sure how long the system will last. Bad comments could be reviewed (thumbs up or down), like Digg's comments. (I just tried to sign up.) Philica requires reviewers to be employed at certain institutions. This bars amateurs (and professional amateurs). Though this is an effective way to confirm identity, it relies on credentialism.

No comments: